Welsh girl trying to find her way in the world. All round Blogger with a passion for Fictional Characters.

Powered by Blogger.

The Lido Girls by Allie Burns Review

Wales, UK
Welcome welcome, firstly I just want to say a huge thank you to Allie, the other week I was clearing out my kindle app and managed to delete this book and then figured out I couldn’t actually get it back. So I emailed Jenny who put me in touch with Allie, and even thought her publisher was away she sent me a copy of hers so that I could get it read by this post. Again super thanks Allie.


BLURB

Escape to the inter-war years in this emotional story where opportunity can be found at the pool-side in your local lido… Perfect for fans of Pam Evans and Gill Paul

Change is in the air…

 London, 1930s:

Natalie Flacker is tempted by the glamour of the new keep fit movement, but when she is dismissed from her prestigious job in PE she loses the life she so carefully built. Echoes of the war’s destruction still reverberate through her life, and now she is homeless, jobless and without prospects.

But connections made on a summer holiday, with her best friend Delphi, create opportunities. When Natalie is offered a summer job at a lido at the seaside, she jumps at the chance. But is she up to the challenge of taking on a group of unfit women in need of her help?

Set against the backdrop of the beginnings of the pioneering keep fit movement; this is a feel-good reminder of just what's possible when you find the courage to follow your heart.

Spend a very British summer with The Lido Girls!


COVER

I have to say I do love old fashion looking covers, I love photos like this too where you can instantly tell there is a story behind the photo.

REVIEW

In all honestly I’m usually a sci-fi/YA and this type of book wouldn’t necessarily be the one I would reach for on the shelf, and I would probably say that the blurb doesn’t do it justice. This book follows the story of Natalie and how she finds herself with nothing after the war. Like a lot of women after the war she finds herself having to start completely over. It’s full of chances and new beginnings.

I learnt a lot from this book, not knowing much about any war era I had never heard about the fitness movement, Allie explains it wonderfully and keeps you wanting to learn more about this place in history. She has really done her research and put all her findings into a very well written book.

Allie has written a beautiful story about Friendship, Romance and Inspiration. Such a good book that everyone should pick up and read.

AUTHOR

Allie lives in Kent with her family and two tortoises. When she's not writing for business or penning her Women's Historical Fiction, Allie enjoys swimming and yoga. She has an MA in Professional Writing from Falmouth University and The Lido Girls is her debut novel. She is currently working on a second interwar years novel, which is due for publication in the summer of 2018.


GIVEAWAY

You can get your hands on these goodies, a Boden beach towel, St Tropez fake tanning face bronzer and a signed postcard – worth £40. This giveaway is international.


HAYLEY

No comments

Thank you so much for checking out my blog. All comments are welcomed and appreciated.